Sunday, November 22, 2009

Post the Eighteenth

Welcome back to Life of a Pastry. I may still have relatively few readers, but enough of you guys seem to like it that I'm bringing it back. That, plus I've had a couple days to actually come up with more stuff to write about. Anyway, today's Life of a Pastry is part one of an I-Don't-Know-How-Many-Parts series on things I tend to think about while writing papers.

Things I Think About, Part I

So I was working on a paper the other night
when my thought process was completely derailed
by a simple question that has plagued my mind ever since:

What smells worse,
a skunk or a skunk's shit?

I could truly see it going either way.
I have never smelled a skunk turd
(and I hope never to reach the point in my life
where I find myself voluntarily doing so).

So for all I know,
skunk crap just might smell finer than the finest perfume.
It might smell so good, I could bottle it up
and sell it as "Poo de Skunk."
I mean, I'd bet it still smells like shit, but ya never know.

I'm sure I could just Google this
and get my answer in five minutes,
but to be honest I'd rather not know.
That way, this can remain
another of life's little mysteries.

--Pastry

P.S.: Feel free to use the comments section of this post to debate this extremely important question.

2 comments:

  1. If farts smelled like bacon, would we like the smell of farts or dislike the smell of bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on my circumspect knowledge of the skunk, I'll further a hypothesis:

    The skunk is a civet cat. It has a gland somewhere near its junk that produces the acrid fluid which it sprays on predators and inquisitive children. I think that the orifice that atomizes this foul mist is unrelated to the asshole. Since most animals are pretty used to the smell of shit, I assume that in order to defend itself by assaulting the olfactory system of its malefactor, the skunk had to evolve something that smelled even more repulsive than shit. Catching a whiff of this, a hungry beast would think "why would I ever eat this thing, it smells worse than shit," and then go kill something else. Or starve.

    ReplyDelete